- Brightly coloured, floating beds provide additional visual stimulation
- Variety in size and shape of teethable areas cultivates tactile sensitivity and develops communication skills
- Vibrates when mouthed further developing an understanding of cause and effect
At 3 months, baby begins to transition from a newborn and by 4 months, many noticeable developmental milestones are beginning to appear. Some of the information below covers a range of developmental milestones that span the period of 2 to 6 months. Baby development is continual and each little one has his or her own pace, so read on for more information about this wonderful time in baby's life.
Vision: Baby's eye muscles are stronger and the “cross-eyed” effect is disappearing. Babies this age can track objects in motion. Beginning around 4 months, baby's vision will coordinate both eyes together, which leads to the beginning of depth perception. Babies will be able to distinguish distances and differentiate between shades. Babies up to 6 months have a clear preference for bright contrasting colors. At about 4 months of age they can see all the primary colors, with blue being the last color that is perceivable.
Hearing: Music is calming to babies of this age. They enjoy listening to a variety of sounds and voices, including environmental sounds. At 4-6 months, babies begin to hear not only tones but can begin to pick out single words. A 6-month-old begins to distinguish different language patterns, recognizing that the language spoken in the home is different from a foreign language.
Touch: Beginning around 4-6 months, babies explore using not only their hands but also their mouths. Babies put everything in their mouths because this is an effective way for them to explore their environment and learn about it.
Features of Sassy
Sassy developmental baby products are designed to help build a solid foundation for lifelong learning by fostering development and stimulating the brain. Years of research, expert consultation and testing have led Sassy to create product features that stimulate baby’s senses and emerging emotional, social, physical and intellectual skills. Those features include high contrast patterns, bright colors, symmetry, multiple textures, specific color language, product proportions; soothing, rhythmic and musical sounds; age appropriate materials; and innovative functional features. All of these features have been thoughtfully designed into Sassy products to help parents care for baby and encourage his development.
Character Faces: Character faces are symmetrical and bold. Babies and young children respond best to organized images. Babies perceive faces with winking eyes and off-center mouths as disorganized and disturbing. These images are met with internal agitation.
High Contrast Colors, including Black and White: At birth, babies cannot focus well enough to distinguish colors. As the eyes mature, high contrasts are the first points of focus. Black and white is the highest form of contrast, followed by bold rich colors with whites and then colors that are juxtaposed on the color wheel.
Patterns: Bold, organized patterns are the most calming for young babies. A simple, bold pattern allows baby to focus attention and organize his thoughts. Staring at bold patterns is actually beneficial for young babies because this activity helps them better organize.
Realism: Household objects, animals, humans and images from nature are all real elements of the world around a new baby. Because they help baby identify her surroundings, they are the best objects to include on baby's toys and in her books. It is also beneficial to provide images of objects that afford caregivers the opportunity to communicate with baby. Conversation is probably the single most important thing adults can do with a baby (after love) as it helps develop the brain in a variety of ways prior to 2 years of age.
Simplification: Less is more, particularly in toys designed for young babies and children. Offering just the right amount of challenge to a developing infant is critically important. Babies can easily become frustrated with too much stimulus and in the end, reject an entire toy because it is too difficult or overwhelming. Toys which focus on ONE thing at a time offer the best stimulation for a young baby.
Variety: While less is more on any given toy or object designed for a young baby, variety is just as important because young babies get bored quickly; Despite this short attention span, babies have a tremendous capacity to learn. Offering a variety of experiences - one at a time - provides the best stimulus for a developing infant.
Since the launch of the original Sassy developmental toy line in 1996, Sassy products have excelled in the juvenile products industry. Sassy’s unique approach focused on stimulating four specific developmental areas during baby’s first year of life. This approach, along with insightful designs, bright colors, and superior quality stood out in the infant toy category and the toys became a fast favorite with parents, babies and toy reviewers.
Sassy products, past and current, have received countless awards, honors and recognition for their outstanding features, developmental appropriateness, and educational value. Sassy's current product line includes several extraordinary award-winners.
- The Flutterby Teether won National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) Gold Winner
- The Fascination Station won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award and the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Blue Chip Classic Award
- The Crib & Floor Mirror won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award and the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio SNAP Award
- The Phone of My Own won Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award
- The Grasp & Glow won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award, the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio SNAP Award and the Green Parents Check List Top Ten Christmas Products
- The Flip & Grip Rattle won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award
- The Sensory Symphony The National Parenting Center Seal of Approval and the iParenting Media Awards
- The Spin Shine Rattle won The National Parenting Center Seal of Approval
What do they mean?!
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Award: These represent the most innovative, engaging new products of the year.
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal Award: Given to outstanding new products that enhance the lives of children.
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Blue Chip Classic Award: Reserved for classic products that should not be missed just because they weren't invented yesterday. Products must be in the marketplace for five years to be considered for this award.
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio SNAP Award: Our Special Needs Adaptable Product Award is given to products that can be used by or easily adapted for children with special needs.
Knowing that babies learn by placing things in their mouths, Sassy strives to produce products that are paint free, BPA free, phthalate free and subject to rigorous testing beyond governmental standards.
By controlling the product development process from concept through engineering, tooling and inspection testing, Sassy go above and beyond to make developmental baby products safe for the most important consumer of all, Sassy babies!
To identify teething, so you can help your baby through this stressful period, look out for the signs of teething, which include flushed cheeks, baby putting his fists into his mouth, dribbling, biting, sore bottom and broken sleep.
Make sure you reassure your baby with lots of cuddles and let him chew on a teether as you gently rock him. Cold food, like purees from the fridge may also help soothe the pain, and chewing on hard pieces of fruit and vegetables like apples, carrots and cucumber can help too.
To caring parents, grandparents and gift givers worldwide, Sassy is the brand of products for children that you can trust for nurturing and developing your child because they have premium quality, innovative design and focused coloration, environmentally principled, with credible and helpful purpose and value added features.
The birth of Sassy, Inc. took place in 1982 with the purchase of the Sassy Seat Company of Fort Lauderdale, FL. Sassy initially had headquarters in Northbrook, IL and a manufacturing facility in Grand Rapids, MI.
During the 1980’s, Sassy expanded through acquisitions that enhanced the image and sales of the company as a viable force in the juvenile products industry. The product line expanded to include an infant bouncer seat, feeding and nursing items.
In 1996, Sassy launched a line of unique toys created in partnership with developmental experts. Sassy’s unique approach focused on stimulating four specific developmental areas during baby’s first year of life. This approach, along with insightful designs, bright colors, and superior quality stood out in the infant toy category and the toys became a fast favorite with parents and babies.
In 2002, Sassy was purchased by Russ Berrie and Company, Inc. Helping people celebrate and commemorate life's milestones, Russ Berrie is a leading manufacturer in the juvenile products industry headquartered in Wayne, NJ.
Sassy continues to operate independently out of Kentwood, MI and Bannockburn, IL. Sassy enjoys distribution in all major trade channels, including mass market retailers, food chains, drug stores, catalogs, and independent baby and toy stores in the United States. In addition, Sassy products can be found in 29 countries worldwide. Sassy’s extensive product categories have grown to include developmental and attachable toys, infant and toddler bath and feeding products, grooming and hygiene products, teething products and room organization products.
Delivery CostOn all orders to mainland UK addresses we are able to offer an incentivised carriage charge based on your order value with us as follows:
|Order Value (£)||Delivery Charge (£)|
|£0.00 to £49.99||£2.99|
|£50.00 to £74.99||£1.00|
- Orders for the Scottish Highlands, the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), the Isle of Man or Ireland will all be charged at £9.95.
- We are able to deliver to European destinations and other parts of the world. Please refer our Delivery tab (at top) for more details.
- Learn more about Sassy
- Read about Teething – Advantages, Disadvantages and Top Tips
- Read about Soothing
- Read about Advice About Teething: Your Baby’s First Teeth
- Sassy developmental baby products are designed to help provide a solid foundation for lifelong learning by fostering development and stimulating the brain.
- Years of research, expert consultation and testing has provided Sassy with unique insights into product features that will stimulate baby’s senses and emerging emotional, social, physical and intellectual skills.
- Sassy developmental baby products contain important features for baby’s developing senses. These include high contrast patterns, bright colors, symmetry, multiple textures, specific color language, product proportions, various sounds, age appropriate materials and innovative functional features. All have been thoughtfully designed into Sassy products to help parents in caring for and fostering baby’s development.