Created, designed, tested and approved by breastfeeding mums, breastvest is held in place by specially designed straps and sits just below your nursing bra, comfortably covering your postnatal tummy whilst offering a comfortable layer of support and modesty. breastvest was invented to make breastfeeding in public easier and to let new mums get back into their favourite clothes while still doing the best for their babies.
Categories Featuring Breastvest Products
How Does Breastvest Work?
The idea behind breastvest is that it is worn as well as your nursing bra and covers your postnatal tummy so you can breastfeed your baby without having to worry about your post-baby midriff.
breastvest is shaped to sit comfortably just under your well-fitted nursing bra and is held in place by shoulder straps, specially designed not to interfere with the nursing bra’s straps.
breastvest covers the postnatal tummy generously and discreetly, and allows breastfeeding mums to wear normal tops, which can then just be lifted up to breastfeed... without exposing any postnatal tummy.
It really couldn’t be easier to use:
- Step 1: unhook your nursing bra
- Step 2: lift up your top - breastvest will stay in place and keep your tummy covered;
- Step3: latch on your baby and enjoy the confidence which goes hand in hand with wearing breastvest.
How Breastvest Started
breastvest was invented by mother-of-one Sam Telfer during her maternity leave in 2007.
After giving birth to Fred and deciding to breastfeed, she was conscious that she had two choices: either limit her wardrobe options to a woeful selection of hole and flap-filled breastfeeding tops, or show the world the burst balloon which had apparently crept in and replaced her stomach.
After talking to a few fellow breastfeeding mums about her problem, it quickly became clear she wasn't the only one who wanted some sort of simple but effective coverage for their postnatal tummy when breastfeeding.
And she certainly wasn't the only frustrated mum who wanted to open the doors to her pre-pregnancy wardrobe without having to think about the practicalities of breastfeeding.
Following a fruitless search for what she was looking for, she opted for a homemade solution... involving an old maternity vest and a pair of scissors.
And so, the first breastvest prototype was born.
Confident that she had hit on something which breastfeeding mums would find invaluable, she set about getting a shipment of sample breastvests made for product testing.Almost 50 breastfeeding mums took part in the product testing programme. They each used a breastvest for two weeks and then filled in a detailed feedback questionnaire.
The results speak for themselves...
- 75% of testers bought a breastvest
- 95% of testers found breastvest helped them feed more comfortably and confidently
- 95% would recommend breastvest to their friends and family
- 95% would consider continuing to wear breastvest as an under garment even when they have stopped feeding... to bridge the baby-shelf gap which so many mums complain about
- All women found feeding in public easier with breastvest
A high proportion of testers said breastvest would help them feed their baby for longer, for various reasons ranging from feeling good in normal clothes and feeling more comfortable by not revealing too much flesh when feeding in public or company, to how easy breastvest is to use and the confidence it gives breastfeeding mums.
Breastvest is available in black and white and comes in Extra-Small, Small, Medium, Large and Extra-Large.
Thousands of mums (including former Hollyoaks actress and wife of premiership footballer, Danny Murphy, Joanna Taylor) are already enjoying the benefits of breastvest. Breastvest has plenty of feedback testimonials from mums and health professionals who work with breastfeeding mums every day.
- Winner of a Bizzie Baby Silver Award
- Shortlisted in the category of Best Product for Breastfeeding in the Mother and Baby Awards 2010.
- Shortlisted in Breastfeeding Category in the Practical Parenting Awards 2010.
- As recommended by Allison Hammond and Holly Willoughby on ITV1's This Morning Baby Club.
- As featured in Prima Baby, Mother and Baby, I'm Pregnant, Practical Parenting, Pregnancy and Birth, Modern Mum, Baby London, Hampshire and Surrey and many more.