You’re probably all too familiar with the downsides of pregnancy- morning sickness, stretch marks, fatigue, just to name a few. Believe it or not, a baby isn’t just the only good thing you’ll get out of your pregnancy. Sure, when your little one is born you’ll sleep a lot less and will be juggling a lot more than you ever have, but the benefits of pregnancy and motherhood bring surprising benefits. Not only do those extra hormones encourage your foetal development, but can improve your health during and after pregnancy.
• Pregnancy can make many women overhaul their lifestyle choices to ensure their baby receives the best possible nutrients. Changes may include cutting down on alcohol, adopting a healthy diet or quitting smoking. Many mothers find that these healthy habits stick with them once their baby is born.
• A lot of women find that menstrual pain is reduced when their menstrual cycle returns after pregnancy.
• Recent studies show that pregnancy reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cancers. The more pregnancies you go through, the greater the effect. In addition, studies also report that breastfeeding for more than three months can lower the risk of certain cancers.
• When you hold your new-born, you’re likely to feel surges of love. Research shows that this is due to the hormones, oxytocin, which plays a role in the bonding process and helps with anxiety.
• While everyone tells you that your hair will become glossier and much thicker during pregnancy then you lose it after birth, you may not expect how the texture of your hair can change. Hormones released during pregnancy and after birth can have an effect on the shape of your hair follicle, so you may have curly hair before you’re pregnant and straight after!
• Pregnancy can be a real confidence builder, with many women finding that their body image improves when they are pregnant. Plus, pregnancy can change your perspective for the better, thus boosting your confidence even more.